Welcome to the Village of Windham, Ohio web site. The residents of the Village of Windham take great pride in our Heritage and Community Spirit.
This website provides an opportunity for you to learn more about:
Official Minutes of the Village Council Meetings
Ordinances and Resolutions of Council
Village contact information
Helpful links to the Windham Police Dept., Windham Fire Dept., Windham branch of the Portage Co. Library, Windham School District, and other links of interest
The Village of Windham is the largest Village entity in Portage County, Ohio. As of the 2000 Census, the population of the Village stands at 2,806 residents. The Village is located 13.5 miles east of Ravenna, Ohio (the seat of Portage County) on State Route 303. The nearest Ohio Turnpike exits are 15 miles west off State Route 44 and 7 miles east off State Route 5. The Ohio Turnpike runs through the Village of Windham and Windham Township providing convenient access to Cleveland (47.7 miles), Akron (35 miles), Warren (12.8 miles) and Youngstown (28.4 miles). Our convenient location near these larger Ohio cities continues to offer future potential and growth possibilities for the Village of Windham.
Windham is perhaps best known as the site of the “Ravenna Arsenal” established on 21,427 acres of Portage County property, including 5,700 acres from Windham Township, in 1940 at the onset of World War II. The Arsenal was one of sixty plants nationwide that manufactured a variety of conventional ammunition for the war effort. The Arsenal was also utilized during the Korean and Vietnam Wars.
Windham’s first settlers were a group of sixteen men known as the “Beckett Company,” who traveled from Becket, Massachusetts in 1811 to an area known as the “Connecticut Western Reserve” settling in an unoccupied township south of what is known today as Nelson Township, Ohio. This land was claimed by the State of Connecticut, with its location in the Northwest Territory in what is now northeastern Ohio.
Windham was first known as Strongsburg, then renamed Sharon, but eventually christened Windham in 1820 in honor of Windham, Connecticut, the original home of the Beckett Company settlers. Originally established as a township, the Village of Windham was incorporated with the State of Ohio in 1892 and remained part of the Township for over 100 years until the County Prosecutor determined that inside millage tax revenues would be lost if the corporate limits of the Village and the Township were not separated. This Separation Agreement was approved by the Portage County Commissioners in 1993.
Village of Windham Zoning Map - CLICK HERE!
"In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, sex, and familial status. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs).
To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (800) 877-8339 (voice) or (202) 720-2600 (TDD)."
"This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer."
Like Us On
A Historic Look At Windham
Click the Ohio Seal
Get local school closings CLICK HERE!
Our Codified Ordinances are now available ONLINE, just CLICK HERE!